Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 278: The Many Faces of Jackie Apodaca

Jackie Apodaca... Where do I begin? A couple winters ago, I was fed up taking history, theory, and critical analysis classes so I applied to Jackie's Film 102 class: Acting and Directing. I snagged one of twelve spots (most likely because of the suit I wore to the interview) and got to be a part of her class. I learned many things including how to lay on the floor, how to sit in a circle on the ground, and how to give back massages. But I also learned how to act and how to direct. 

After getting picked to do a 106, I learned much more about Jackie. She wasn't necessarily the most knowledgeable about how cameras worked or the best way to record sound, but she knew how characters felt and if a story really made sense or not. While we were all concerned about the specifics, Jackie made you go back to the basics similar to picking a good piece of wood before you try and carve it into a sculpture.

Liking Jackie's style, I took her Film 54 class: Intro to Hollywood Industry (or something like that). It was basically a class similar to the show Inside the Actor's Studio in which guests from Hollywood are interviewed by Jackie and then students ask them questions. The guests ranged from actors to casting directors to producers and directors. When it comes to learning about how the Los Angeles film machine works, it is the greatest class in the world.

For some reason Jackie gave me the chance to help T.A. the class. Not only did I learn something every Friday night from 5pm to 7pm (trust me it was worth it) but I would be getting paid to do so. But this Friday was depressing. It was Jackie's last 54. She is leaving Santa Barbara to be an acting professor in Oregon and help start a film program at the school.

Instead of Jackie running 54, the batton was passed to Constance as it was Jackie who was the special guest tonight. I could go through and talk about all the things I learned tonight, but I will instead give you a photographic glimpse as to who Jackie is as a person.


Mocking Jackie


Talking on the phone Jackie


"No thank you" Jackie


"I legitimately have important things to say!" Jackie


"Umm..." Jackie


Happy Jackie


Writer Jackie


"I see you!" Jackie


"Are you fucking serious?" Jackie


"What the fuck?" Jackie


"Oh really?" Jackie


"No no no no no" Jackie


"Mwhahaha" Jackie


"He was fucked in the head" Jackie


"Pay me my fucking money" Jackie


"I have a question for you Jackie..."


"Your question is stupid" Jackie


Stoned Jackie


"I'm just gonna go and pull myself up by my bootstraps" Jackie


"Are you still fucking serious?" Jackie


Sick of your bullshit Jackie


"You better fucking listen to me because my hands are doing this" Jackie


"That's funny" Jackie


10 points for Griffindor!


"Haahahahh. Oh man" Jackie


Over it Jackie


Pendulum Jackie


Weirded out Jackie


"Why god Why?" Jackie


Wingardium Leviosa!


"Stop calling me" Jackie


Italian Jackie


Valley Girl Jackie


Sick and tired Jackie


"What is your deal?" Jackie


Concerned Jackie


Mixed signals Jackie


Bashful Jackie


So long Jackie


Sad Jackie


Appreciated Jackie


Jackie, You will be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment