Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 214: Thanks. You're the best

While Burial was an awesome experience, I had to miss two days of school. I'm not complaining about that. But because I missed this screenwriting class, I got an email from the professor saying I got dropped from it. Apparently the first class is "the most important class of the quarter" and "cannot be made up" there was no way for me to stay in the class.

But I tried, I emailed her explaining that I needed the class to have enough units for financial aid and how I had asked one of my friends to tell her I wouldn't be there (which he did).  I wrote her this long email asking her if there is any way I can still take the class even if it was for 1 unit because I could always get some units interning for the Film department. She quickly replied.

In an unprecedented lengthy email she told me how it was my decision not to come to class and how there were a bunch of students who were crashing that were trying to take the class that were there, yada yada yada, eventually ending in "I'm sorry."

At this point I didn't really know what to reply back because my chances were obviously slim to non. At first it was going to be a simple, "Fuck You" but given the academic environment and multi-decade teaching experience this professor had, I decided to get creative. I sarcastically wrote, "Thanks. You're the best. -Addison" For some reason I thought it was the funniest thing in the world as I imagined her face when reading such a smart ass response. But what I got back was even funnier.

She replied back with "Call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss". Upon reading this I exploded with laughter and could not contain my tears. I kept replaying the two scenarios of her reaction. 1: She was legitimately concerned for my mental health and honestly believed that I had autism or some other mental disorder that interpreted her double-digit length shut down email as "Sure. I'll let you back in the class." If this is true than I fear for UCSB and its ability to hire professors. or 2: She was so impressed/shocked by my spouting creativity and edginess against the authority that she absolutely had to have me in her creative screenplay writing class.

Sadly, I will never know as I did not call her back. I found a 3 unit nutrition class that I will most likely never attend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment