Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 229: Greatest Piece of Production Equipment of All Time.

For this Sony contest we are being judged 25% on Cinematography and 25% on "Best Use of Camera/Equipment". So they basically should have just said 50% judged on cinematography. But since my piece takes place in one location and one actor (kinda like 127 Hours but 3 minutes long), I really needed to get creative with some of my shots.

I wanted to get some shots from underground as the main character, Eric, digs down into the sand. I thought about getting a piece of glass or a window and then it hit me. An aquarium! I looked on craigslist and found one for $10 and let me tell you it was the best $10 I have ever spent. It perfectly protects the camera from sand and salt water. since it worked so well on one shot, we came up with 3 or 4 other shots that came out even better!

The best part about film making is figuring out how to create the illusion. And when you can do it for almost nothing, that truly is No Money Necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment