Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 114: Grandparents' House

Every year we go to my Grandparent's house to celebrate Christmas with everyone from my Mom's side of the family. But the coolest part of their house is my Grandpa's (Gramps) garage. He used to collect old Woody cars (how I got my nickname) but over the years he has had to sell them. He owned Clark Gable's '41 Packard and Amelia Erhart's '37 Cord a while back but he has had this one forever. 


This baby has all original parts including real woof for the side panels from 1946.



When Gramps started it up it sounds and smells like an old train. He modified the horn so it literally has bells and whistles. As he started and revved it, he looked like a little kid at the age of 84.


His garage looks like an old mans; A bunch of shit every but each object has its own specific purpose. Reminded me of Clint's garage in Grand Torino.



My Aunt told me a story of how when she met Gramps she thought he was John Wayne because he looks just like The Duke. This portrait hangs on his garage door.


Gramps also collects license plates. He has plates from all over the world and one from every state. It was fun watching the him buy the last state he didn't have a couple years ago in Hawaii.


"If you guys are thirsty keep drinking. I got some more Martinelli's in the garage."


Asides from the garage, their house is big and beautiful. Three stories in Costa Mesa this home has a great ocean view. A couple years ago Gramps gave the house to his three kids and says next year hes gonna have to start paying them rent. Some "insurance thing" he says.




My Mom, Aunt, and Uncle have never looked so young.



This is Gramp's train that he shows us every Christmas. He was a civil Engineer back in the day and helped build tracking satellites for NASA and the government so its cool to see him take his profession and make it a hobby that the kids can enjoy.


There is a family tree on the first floor/basement that takes up a whole wall. All of my forefathers look pretty scary though. One lookslike that old man from Home Alone with the snow shovel.


This is where the old man gets shit done. "God grant me patience and I want it right now."


Almost 60 years together...


When I walk by their refrigerator its like seeing my entire childhood as well as my cousins'.


Mexican Christmas Dinner




No comments:

Post a Comment