Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 97: "Everyday I Have the Blues" - B.B. King

The blues are by far my favorite style of music. There is just nothing that comes close to hearing some 300 pound black guy wail away about why his woman left him. I'm not saying I like the genre because its sad, but because it is just so raw. When you are in middle school and most of your favorite musicians have been dead for 20 years, its hard to find people to come to blues concerts with you. Thankfully, I got to see two legends.

Buddy Guy came into town right after his good friend, Wilson Pickett (Mustang Sally) had recently died. My friend Spasian came with me and we had the time of our lives as we got there hours early so we could stand front row. The whole time Art was sneaking us middle schoolers straight Jack Daniels. It was awesome.

The House of Blues was also blessed by one of my favorite artists, the legendary B.B. King. Tickets were like $80 a pop but I would have paid $300. Shane came with me on this one. While he was really old and just sat in a chair the whole time, B.B. was bluer than ever as he rained down upon us 85 years of emotion. One of the most historically satisfying concerts of my life.

But I digress. Today's picture is of the Blues Brothers mug I bought from the House of Blues in Anaheim: it broke today. I'm just glad I was the one to break it. The second it broke I got the blues BAD but then i realized the humor the situation. It had broken on the Blues Brothers Hat Ashtray I had bought the same night.   


No comments:

Post a Comment