Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 161: Director's Panel, Student Shorts, and After Party

The best day of the festival: The Director's Panel. Last year I asked a question to James Cameron, Katherine Bigelow, Todd Phillips, Pete Doctor, Lee Daniels, and Quentin Tarantino and Tarantino embarrassed the shit out of me by misunderstanding my question and shutting me down. But this year was my time for redemption. While the panel didn't have as many big names as last year's, there were some sick directors.


Darren Aronofsky was there who did some great fucking independent films like The Wrestler and this year's Black Swan.

And Tom Hooper was there again .



After last year's travesty, I formulated a question in my head over and over until it was my chance. I was literally sitting in the front row right next to the microphone and shot up when it was announced that we could ask questions. I bravely asked my four part question: Part 1: "First off I would like to thank you all for coming" (They like it when they get thanked). Part 2: "This question is for Mr. Aronofsky" (This way he has my full, undivided attention knowing that he will soon have to respond to what I am asking.) Part 3: (The summary before the question) "During Natalie Portman's Golden Globe acceptance speech for Best Actress, she personally thanked you for giving her the direction on some takes to, "do this one for yourself"... Part 4 (The Question) "So my question to you is how did her performance change with this direction as opposed to directions you had given to her prior?"

Once I was done asking it, I heard mumbling in the crowd that consisted of, "Wow, what a great question" and "what a smart, young man!" It was wet and I was so proud of myself I almost forgot to listen to his answer.


After the panel a bunch of us waited by the exit door and all the directors came out one by one. David O'Russell (The Fighter) was hilarious and shook everyone's hand and joked around.


Then the man himself came out. He was shaking hands and signing stuff when he saw me. We made eye contact and he walked over to me, put his hand out, and said "That was a great question." I then came in my pants and asked him to sign my filmmaker pass while I was still hard. He did.


Proof.


Got Tom Hooper's Hancock too. He seemed nervous and scared. Probably because he is a Brit that's about to steal the Best Director award.


Then there was the student short program in which my film, along with a bunch of my friend's films played. The films were much better than the SB shorts. After they all screened, they brought the filmmakers on stage for a pathetic Q&A. The moderator was a dumbass and the whole thing was forced and awkward. It was awesome seeing some old friends come up too.


Airica and I had to kill some time so we went into this awesome pawn/antique/collector's store. This was an eagle made out of a wood log.


The after party was the dopest one yet (even better than the opening one at Paseo Nuevo).




Some fans made me sign their bodies. It was cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment